“Your track record with boyfriends is not the greatest” If i had a dollar for every time I heard that phrase I might just be rich. Growing up in a small town I never dated in high school, and believe me it is not because I did not want to. When I got to the community college in our town I just knew I would find the one. You know the way it happens in movies, I would see him the first day of class and we would both fall instantly in love. Well I hate to let your hopes fall but that is not how it happens in the real word girls. I started seeing this guy I had been friends with for forever. Needless to say I really could not see him as anything else, but the good news is we are still friends. I would love to go on and tell you I meet my dream guy who came riding in on a white horse wearing shinning armor, but it was more like an impostor with a horrible sense of humor. After that relationship ended I thought I would be forever single, but that is so far from the truth. You see there has been a man looking out for me this whole time, His name is Jesus. He knew what I was going through and He promises not to give you more than you can handle.
After getting closer to God I realized I was doing it all wrong! I am not suppose to seek out a relationship with a man, I am suppose to seek out a relationship with God. And only then will I meet the man God has intended for me to marry. I have come up with a list of rules for when God puts that man in front of me so here they are;
1. Do not make it about your timing. When God has you and your future spouse focused mainly on him only then will he introduce you. It might sound silly, how am I going to know when the time is right. I have heard its like magic when you meet your future spouse, so do not worry God will make it completely clear when the time is right.
2. Continue to grow closer to God. Once you enter into that relationship join a couples bible study group together. In order for your relationship to grow you both need to grow closer to God together. There is no better way than through His Word.
3. Remember to Pray for each other. I have been praying for my future husband for sometime now. I pray that he is growing in Gods word, I pray he is praying about me, and I also pray for our future together.
4. Go to church together. This might be tough at times especially if you do not attend the same church. But just remember he loves his church family just as much as you do your own. Its always easier for the guy to attend the girls church but make an effort to attend his. Going to his church will tell you a lot about the person he is.
5. Pray in public together. To me there is nothing sweeter than a man holding your hands across the table at a restaurant and praying with you. This indicates he is not afraid of showing people that your relationship is God based.
6. Go on group dates. While the devil still tempts couples in every way, its better not to be alone. Back to number two where I suggested a couples bible study, make friends there and go out together. There are tons of fun things Christian couples can do bowling, miniature golf, go carts, ice skating, skating, and many more. There are a world of options when it comes to group dates.
7. Hold hands. When the time is right to hold your partners hand, embrace it. I know that I will, when God brings my future husband to me hand holding is the limit. You might be thinking SERIOUSLY! Yes I am very serious. He is going to be the man I marry, I will have forever to kiss him. The sweetest weddings are the ones you go to and know that the bride and groom will be sharing their first kiss on their wedding day.
8. Be patient. Back to God timing. Sometimes it can be so aggravating to wait. But think about it Cinderella waited for her prince to find her and look how that turned out. For me I thought I would meet my prince and be married right out of college but God did not like that plan. You see God has a much greater plan and we are all blessed to see his plans play out, in His timing.
9. Do not compare you relationship to others. God has designed your fairy tale just the way he wanted. It might not be like the movies portray it but that is the beauty of it. Its your fairy tale created by God.
My hope and prayer for you is that God is working in your life and you future spouses life. Please feel free to comment and share your points on Christian dating and waiting for Gods perfect timings.
” Haven’t you read,”he replied,” that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said ,’ For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh, so they are no longer two but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” Matthew 19:4-6